Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Trip to Poland...Day 1

I had the privilege of taking a trip to Poland with my Aunt Louise, Cousin Clint and his daughter, Christina. Aunt Louise fled from Poland during WW2 with her Mom and three brothers, traveling by horse and wagon. We had the privilege to walk through this amazing story of survival with her this past week. Throughout the next few days I will post pictures and comments and try to relate the story as best as I can remember it. I thank God that Aunt Louise and her family lived to tell the story. She has lived with her family in Canada since 1948. Coming back to what use to be her home and country was truly a bitter-sweet experience.

Clint our safe and gracious driver

Christina was our navigator...she learned how to program the built in GPS quickly. We do not know how we would have managed without her and the GPS! Both made the trip so much more pleasant and enjoyable. We never really got lost...which is quite amazing for traveling the approx 3,200 k's on unknown roads and autobahns.
No comment~
Our first stop was the village where my grandpa once lived. Aunt Louise lived there for a couple of years after fleeing from Poland and before they immigrated to Canada. This is the house my Grandpa lived in for awhile. In 1890 his family moved to Poland (he was 4) and then in 1911 Grandpa immigrated to Canada where he homesteaded in Saskatchewan.
The following are all original pieces. The stone fireplace...
I love this picture. It was hanging on the wall in the living room.
The buffet...
The couch which was home-made by a friend of the family.
This old tree stump was used to shape collars for oxen and horses. My great-grandpa was a harness maker.
The front door...

This building that was the school when my aunt lived here. (It is a private home now.)
This was her house...it is now a restaurant.

4 comments:

Shawna said...

Lookin' good! Can't wait to hear more!! :o )

Diane Smid said...

what an amazing opportunity Doris. so wonderful that you could make this trip through history with family.

Blessed said...

Fun!

Howard and Eileen Dueck said...

I thought you said cousin Clint was a "safe" driver. 150 km/hour indeed!! :)