Friday, November 25, 2011

Chestnuts roasting on an open fire...

It is the time of the year for roasted chestnuts or 'Heisse Marroni' as they are called here. Stands are here and there through out the market place, streets, etc. When I first tasted a roasted chestnut, I thought it tasted a bit like sweetened mashed potatoes. You have to acquire a taste for them. I tried roasting them at home one time, which was a total disaster! Now I would much rather find a stand and purchase a few for a treat.


The lady above just emptied these into her big pan with the fire below. She will stir them occasionally until they are roasted/done.
When you purchase them, you buy them by weight and they are put in this bag, which also has a compartment to put them empty shells in. These bags also make great hand warmers when the chestnuts are hot from the pan!
This has nothing to do with chestnuts, other than it is a fall item on the menu. Jesse decided to try the 'pumpkin special' at this little cafe and we both were pleasantly surprised buy the neat presentation of the pumpkin/squash filled with seasoned rice and served with a generous scoop of relish and tossed salad!

3 comments:

Sandee Shuman said...

This makes me so homesick I could almost cry! Tim and I did not know about the extra pouch for the empty shells!! Have those bags always had that?? You're right - you do have to acquire a taste for roasted chestnuts (which we did - we love them!)Really enjoyed your post!

Mrs. Michelle said...

Lovely! So fun that the bag has a handy little pocket. I have tried roasted chestnuts only once, I thought they tasted like mashed potatoes. I love the autumn.

Blessed said...

Okay, can you bring back Heisse Maroni so we can pop them in our mittens to warm our hands?? :)